Instead of building everything from scratch go to the places where your audience already hangs out. One of the opportunities is to start writing on Medium.com.
It’s the platform similar to your blog, but it has many other publishers where you can submit your posts.
Also, you can publish articles that you wrote on other sites. However, as any platforms, it has its nuances.
In this episode, Dakota Shane shares how to build your audience and email list with Medium articles.
Dakota is a columnist for Inc. Magazine and the co-founder of Arctiphi, a copywriting & social media agency based in Los Angeles. Dakota has spoken at marketing and writing conferences all around the United States and Canada on content marketing topics.
In 2017, he was the No. 2 writer on Medium.com for social media, alongside Gary Vaynerchuk. His work has been read by over 1.5 million people around the globe, and recognized by industry leaders.
In this episode, we will cover:
- [00:22] About the episode and Dakota Shane
- [01:22] Check what type of influencer you are as an entrepreneur at marinabarayeva.com/influencer
- [03:13] After graduating from college Dakota wanted to work in marketing, so the best way he found to do that is to start his own company
- [04:48] How he became one of the top writers on Medium
- [08:14] Use Import Story feature to syndicate your articles from other sites
- [09:27] How Dakota mixes syndicated content with the original articles on Medium
- [12:46] A post that he wrote on Medium got him to the book deal
- [14:21] To get in front of your audience is write for the publications on Medium
- [16:34] What are the publications
- [18:38] How to submit your articles to the publications to get better chance to be accepted
- [21:13] Give the editors deadline to review your articles
- [23:28] When you send articles to publications on Medium they appear on the publication page as well as yours
- [24:14] How to promote your articles
- [27:55] Build the relationship with other authors on Medium and help each other to reach more people
- [29:26] How to drive people from Medium to your email list
- [32:07] Don’t write for the publications that do not allow you to include a link to your lead magnet in the article
- [33:48] How Dakota organizes his workflow of writing the articles on Medium
- [38:35] Write for your blog first, then republish it on Medium
- [39:30] Where to find Dakota online
- [40:21] For the show notes go to marinabarayeva.com and subscribe to the Marketing for Creatives show
How to Organize Your Publishing Workflow on Medium
- Come up with several topic ideas that you will publish on your blog or other sites
- After they get published repurpose them and submit to Medium
- Always include a call to action at the bottom
- Highlight parts of the article on Medium so more people will see it
- Share through your social media
Pin the quotes on your Pinterest:
Resources from this interview:
- Learn more about Dakota Shane on arctiphi.com
- The Medium publications where Dakota wrote his articles The Mission, The Startup Grind Team Follow, The Startup
- Find all Medium publications on toppub.xyz
- The founder of Medium Evan Williams
- Follow Dakota on Twitter, LinkedIn, Medium
Connect with Marina Barayeva:
- Follow Marina on Instagram
- Follow Marina on Twitter
Marina Barayeva is an international speaker and coach who helps women entrepreneurs become recognized experts and confidently sell their services. She is also a TEDx speaker, has presented to audiences in Asia and North America, and has been featured in such media as ArtPeople, CCTV, China Radio International, and others.
Leave a Reply