The way you write is often different from how you talk. Have you noticed that you put more emotions and personality into the conversation when you meet with the person face to face rather than you type something on your computer?
Let’s get this open friendly tone to your text too.
In this episode, Nick Usborne shares how to find and develop your conversational voice in writing.
Nick is an expert in copywriting and web writing. He has written copy for some of the world’s biggest brands, including Citibank, Apple, Chrysler, MSN.com, New York Times, WebEx, the U.S. Navy, and others.
He attributes his success to “conversational copywriting,” and now he shares his approach on how to write persuasive and effective copy for clients.
In this episode, we will cover:
- [00:22] About the episode and Nick Usborne
- [01:43] Nick started working in an advertising agency, but then turned into the solopreneur copywriter that became his career for 40 years
- [05:31] What it means to write conversationally
- [07:51] The tips on how to add the conversational voice to your writing
- [11:08] The difference between writing conversationally and hard selling copy
- [14:53] How to write to people as if you are their friend
- [17:59] The important part of the conversation whether it’s face to face or in writing
- [21:00] How to develop a conversational voice in writing
- [25:08] How to sell to the desperate audience
- [26:12] How to build a long-term relationship with writing
- [29:20] The practical tip on how to improve the content on your website
- [33:44] Where to find Nick online
- [35:43] For the show notes go to marinabarayeva.com and subscribe to the Marketing for Creatives show
5 Quick Tips that will Help You Write with the Conversational Voice
- Write as you speak
- Write as you would tell something to your friend
- Be excited about what you’re talking about
- Use social media to see what people are interested in and what questions they have
- Read what you wrote loud to your friend and see how they react. Pay attention to how you feel about your writing when you read to your friend
Resources from this interview:
- Learn more about Nick Usborne on conversationalcopywriting.com
- Get a free Guide to Conversational Copywriting
- Follow Nick on Twitter, Facebook