We tend to avoid any conflict situations by nature. However, that does not always solve the problems. Our today’s guest teaches people to face the conflicts and go through them.
We will touch relationship with the employees and freelancers, your communication with the clients and partners, and even will talk about the conflicts that can appear between you and your close people such as friends and family because you work on your business.
In this episode, Dr. Liane Davey shares how to manage conflict situations in business.
Dr. Liane Davey is a New York Times Bestselling author, a regular contributor to the Harvard Business Review, and the organizational psychology expert for Quartz magazine.
As the co-founder of 3COze Inc, she advises on business strategy and executive team effectiveness with executives at companies such as Amazon, Walmart, TD Bank, and SONY PlayStation. Liane has a Ph.D. in Organizational Psychology and has served as an evaluator for the American Psychological Association’s Healthy Workplace awards.
In this episode, we will cover:
- [00:22] About the episode and Liane Davey
- [02:06] After 18 years of working in the consulting company Liane and her husband quit their jobs and started their own company
- [03:32] While many people avoid the conflict situations Liane Davey believes that you need to work through it
- [05:40] The most common business conflict situation is the unwillingness of business leaders to prioritize
- [07:53] How to manage conflict situations when you hire a person for a short-term project but still keep doing a lot of work by yourself
- [09:39] It’s important to give people feedback and clarifying expectations
- [11:02] Feedback often goes wrong because we fill our feedback with judgment
- [12:25] If someone starts judging and hurting you give them a signal
- [14:18] When you work with the client instead of giving a feedback better ask them a question about the problem you see
- [16:50] How to manage conflict situations when you want to fire a person when the person is not a good fit for your team
- [22:24] Who are the toxic people and what to do with them
- [24:29] What to do when the person can positively impact your business, but this business partner is a toxic person
- [26:02] How to face the situation when you feel that friends and family don’t understand you in your business
- [29:15] “Why?” is the question we want to almost never use when we asked somebody why it makes them defensive
- [31:06] When you want people to do something different let them know what you expect
- [32:47] To avoid misunderstanding share your feelings, listen to another person then together decide where you will go from there
- [34:01] How to manage conflict situations when you’re in the middle of the conflict
- [37:48] Where to find Liane online
- [38:47] For the show notes go to marinabarayeva.com and subscribe to the Marketing for Creatives show
3 Steps on How to Manage Conflict Situation When It’s Already Going Right Now
- Step 1: Establish a line of communication asking what the issue is about for another person and pay attention to what he/she says
- Step 2: Create the connection by admitting what you missed before the conflict
- Step 3: Together look for the solution