There are many factors that affect SEO on your website: the keywords, quality of your article, meta tags and others. It seems a little complicated, but let’s try to go through everything step by step.
In this episode, Rand Fishkin shares how to optimize your blog post for SEO to get on the first page of Google.
Rand is the founder of SparkToro and was previously cofounder of Moz and Inbound.org. He’s dedicated his professional life to helping people do better marketing through the Whiteboard Friday video series, his blog, and his book, Lost and Founder: A Painfully Honest Field Guide to the Startup World.
When Rand’s not working, he’s most likely to be in the company of his partner in marriage and (mostly petty) crime, author Geraldine DeRuiter.
In this episode, we will cover:
- [00:22] About the episode and Rand Fishkin
- [01:51] Rand shares his journey of how he started Moz that he run for seven years and why he left it for a new business
- [04:46] How to start with SEO on your website
- [06:09] How to find the right keywords
- [09:54] What to pay attention to when you use third services to search for the keywords
- [11:08] How to optimize a website for SEO
- [13:26] The different ways to use the keywords on the same page
- [17:27] How to optimize a blog post for SEO
- [18:33] Why it’s essential that other websites link to you and which are the proper links
- [23:31] Avoid spamming with the keywords on a page
- [26:01] Where Rand recommends put his effort to when you try to optimize your blog post for SEO
- [27:33] The tips on adding metadata
- [29:57] The mistakes that people make when they try to optimize a blog post for SEO
- [31:27] The wrong ways to create the content
- [32:49] Where to find Rand online
- [33:32] For the show notes go to marinabarayeva.com and subscribe to the Marketing for Creatives show
How to Use Keywords When You Optimize a Blog Post for SEO
If let’s say a target keyword is “black and white wedding photography in Beijing” the variations of keywords on the page might be:
- without color,
- black and white photography,
- Beijing (the city of the service and potentially some of the other regions and suburbs and parts of the city), etc.
Pin the quotes on your Pinterest:
Resources from this interview:
- Learn more about Rand Fishkin on sparktoro.com
- Use Google Ads tool to see what words and phrases the search engine might suggest
- The tools that will help you to find the keywords: Keyword Explorer from Moz, Ahrefs, Semrush
- If you use WordPress Yoast or All in One SEO plugin will help you better optimize your website for SEO
- To find out the technical mistakes on the site use the tools such as Screaming Frog or Google Search Console
- Follow Rand on Twitter, Facebook