If you like shortcuts, willing to do some research and be creative, then this is the way for you to become popular quickly.
In this episode, Michael Schein shares how to create a media buzz for your business by leveraging names of other well-known people.
You will learn how it works and will get some examples. One of the case studies we’ll discuss is how Michael wrote an article called “Why Gary Vaynerchuk is flat out wrong,” and you’ll see how it turned out.
Michael is the founder and president of MicroFame Media, a marketing agency that specializes in making idea-based companies famous in their industries. He also writes for Forbes, Inc., Huffington Post, and Fortune about marketing, storytelling, and the phenomenon of hype.
In particular, his pieces on hype have garnered hundreds of thousands of views, with his article about Harold von Braunhut, the creator of Amazing Sea-Monkeys, becoming an Inc. Top 10 Most Viewed Article.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- [00:22] About the episode and Michael Schein
- [01:54] Michael wasn’t happy in a corporate world, so he changed his career to a freelance copywriter
- [06:27] How experimenting with writing he wrote an article “Why Gary Vaynerchuk is flat out wrong” that created a lot of media buzz and Gary himself responded to it
- [09:39] What a hype concept is and how people used it
- [14:37] Examples of how to use a hype concept in marketing to create more media buzz
- [19:01] What to do to start creating a media buzz like famous artists
- [24:49] How he used his concept to write about Gary Vaynerchuk
- [28:37] Pick the way to communicate that is right for you
- [32:06] Treat every piece of content as an experiment to see how it works
- [36:11] Where to find Michael online
- [37:15] For the show notes go to marinabarayeva.com and subscribe to the Marketing for Creatives show
How to Create Media Buzz for Your Business
- Step 1: Find the most successful artists who have done a really good job of attracting huge amounts of attention to get inspiration
- Step 1: Come up with a creative idea and create content around it
- Step 1: Test it within a few months
- Step 1: See what works and do more of that
Resources from this interview:
- Learn more about Michael Schein on microfamemedia.com
- Get a free list of books about gurus, propagandists, cult leaders, promoters, and other unconventional marketers
- Read Michael’s article Why Gary Vaynerchuk Is Flat Out Wrong
- Watch Gary’s respond to Michael
- People mentioned in the episode Andy Warhol, Gary Vaynerchuk, Jim Jones, Martin Luther King, Joseph Goebbels, John F. Kennedy, Richard Branson, Elon Musk, Olu Brown, Steve Jobs, Lady Gaga, Joseph Stalin, Ryan Holiday
- Follow Michael on Facebook, Twitter