Knowing your audience in business is the key to success because then you know how you can serve them. However, another essential thing there is people need to trust you before they buy from you.
You will know how to find out more about your ideal clients through interviewing people from your target audience, how to reach out to the top professionals in your industry asking about their experience, and how to publish a book using your discoveries, that will establish you as an expert.
In this episode, Josh Steimle shares how to get to know your target audience better and establish credibility with it.
Josh is the creator of The 7 Systems of Influence, a framework to help executives, entrepreneurs, parents, teachers, authors, speakers, and leaders of all types to build and maintain effective influence.
Josh has appeared on national and international TV and radio, more than 70 podcasts, and speaks globally.
In 2016, Josh published Chief Marketing Officers at Work, which includes interviews with 29 CMOs from companies like Spotify, Target, PayPal, GE, and The Home Depot. It was recognized as one of the 5 Best Business Books of 2016 in Success Magazine, and named one of 11 Marketing Books Every CMO Should Read by Forbes.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- [00:22] About the episode and Josh Steimle
- [02:32] How Josh got to China and how he managed his business between China and the US
- [06:21] How losing a client led him to the idea to write Chief Marketing Officer at Work book
- [09:06] How he got a book deal with the traditional published even if it was his first book
- [12:23] How he decided what people to interview for a book
- [14:52] How Josh leveraged LinkedIn to get in touch with many chief marketing officers
- [17:39] Why he chose this particular audience for interviewing and how that opened many doors for him
- [19:13] What he asked when he interviewed people
- [21:38] A big challenge you get after publishing a book
- [22:46] How he collaborated with the journalist to write about his book
- [27:26] The opportunities that Josh got after publishing all those interviews
- [31:19] What Josh would do differently if he would decide to do another similar project
- [33:01] The problems you may face if you go with the traditional publisher
- [34:02] Where to find Josh online
- [34:16] For the show notes go to marinabarayeva.com and subscribe to the Marketing for Creatives show
How to Get to Know Your Target Audience Better and Establish Credibility with It
- Step 1: Pick the specific audience you want to work with
- Step 2: Choose people who have diverse experience and easy for you to reach
- Step 3: Find out how you can connect with well-known people in your industry who are also your audience and who you’d like to interview but don’t know personally
- Step 4: Interview them
- Step 5: Reach out to media offering to publish your project or book publisher to write a book for them