Speaking is one of the fastest ways to start positioning yourself as an expert. You already have enough experience to share it with others. As terrifying it may be for some people at the end of the day it all comes to practice.
And about the technical stuff, we’ll talk about in this episode. You’ll have an exercise for finding your topics to speak about, tips on what will help you to build credibility and how to use that in marketing. All you will need after that is to start speaking.
In this episode, Michael Hudson shares how to start a speaking business based on your knowledge.
Michael is a teacher, speaker, writer, facilitator, coach, & ideapreneur. He helps people discover their vision, write their story, and speak their vision into existence using his proven VisionSpeaker™ System.
He is also an author of the Public Speaker Secrets: 52 Proven Ways to Increase Your Impact Every Time You Speak.
In this episode, we will cover:
- [00:22] About the episode and Michael Hudson
- [01:59] Michael shares his journey of working in different fields that turned out to full-time speaking, coaching and consulting
- [04:07] How he avoided a public speaking at the beginning of his career and how he overcame this fear
- [08:43] The power of successful public speaking in the storytelling
- [10:09] An exercise that will help you to find speaking ideas
- [11:44] How to align your life stories with business
- [14:32] How to gain credibility as a speaker
- [18:06] Where to practice your first speeches and the tips on how to rehearse it
- [20:28] The industry-focused approach for public speaking that helped Michael to build a speaking business
- [23:02] How to find the industry to specialize in
- [23:56] What will help you to market yourself as a speaker
- [27:27] How to ask about the testimonial after you delivered a speech
- [29:10] How to ask about the referrals
- [32:47] How to get more business with video and testimonials from your previous public speaking
- [36:35] Four steps that will help you to promote yourself as a public speaker and build a business around it
- [39:13] Where to find Michael online
- [40:42] For the show notes go to marinabarayeva.com and subscribe to the Marketing for Creatives show
The Key Steps that Will Help You to Start a Speaking Business Faster
- Step 1: Map the message you want to share and find places where you can talk about that
- Step 2: Test on your families and friends
- Step 3: Rehearse the stories you share on the stage during the casual conversations with people
- Step 4: Specialize in a particular industry
- Step 5: After you deliver a speech look for the ways to get in touch with the audience again. For example, through some free extra materials that you can send them
- Step 6: Get the video from every speech if it’s possible
- Step 7: Collect the testimonials, feedback and try to get the referrals
Pin the quotes on your Pinterest:
Resources from this interview:
- Learn more about Michael Hudson on michaelhudson.com
- Read his book Public Speaker Secrets: 52 Proven Ways to Increase Your Impact Every Time You Speak
- Check the communities such as Rotary Club to find a place to practice your public speaking
- Nail your message with Michael directly during his free 15-minutes makeover
- Listen to Message Heard podcast
- Follow Michael on Facebook, Twitter