Do you remember people speaking on the stage or giving a presentation when you literally want to fall asleep because it’s so boring? You don’t want to be this kind of speaker.
Today we got a brilliant guest Mike Ganino who shares how to turn a boring talk to a powerful speech.
He will guide you from the moment when you sit in front of the blank screen of your computer thinking what to talk about in your speech to the time when you are ready to deliver your speech and get more bookings. With all of these tips you may even become a TEDx speaker.
We’ll also talk about how to start and finish the speech, how to make it more interesting and engaged for the audience and tips on selling during the speech.
Mike is a communication + storytelling consultant and speaker who helps executives, teams, and thought leaders communicate, connect, and engage. He is the author of Company Culture for Dummies and has been named a top 30 Culture Speaker by Global Guru.
He is the Head Performance Coach at Heroic Public Speaking and TEDx Cambridge where he helps people connect in an authentic and engaging way with their audiences. He has worked with global organizations like Uber and Yum! Brands.
In this episode, we will cover:
- [00:22] About the episode and Mike Ganino
- [02:20] Mike was in the hospitality industry for 20 years, but he always mixed that with his passion for acting and Improv
- [05:09] How the accidental meeting and giving tips to a juice chain business owner led him to start doing workshops, speaking and a book deal
- [06:20] Using the improve technique “Yes. And..” in life can bring you more opportunities
- [08:48] What to start with when you need to write a speech
- [10:05] Grab your phone and start talking about the ideas you want to share in the speech
- [12:10] When you prepare your speech, start talking from your audience perspective and check what people already tell themselves about the topic
- [14:35] From the beginning you need to make listeners feel “Oh, I came to the right place.”
- [15:16] Don’t start your speech by thanking everybody for 3 minutes
- [17:14] You can start your speech with the fact that people don’t know about and that will make them want to hear more
- [18:22] If you’re going to sell from the stage add the case studies into the whole speech instead of hard selling in the last 5 minutes
- [19:49] How to finish a persuasive speech with the call to action
- [20:53] If you have Q&A session at the end make sure that you have an interesting short story or call-to-action to finish your speech after
- [22:23] What to have on the last slide of your PowerPoint presentation
- [24:48] Mike’s ways to use call-to-action at the end of the speech
- [25:29] Instead of giving away the presentation of your speech let people download a cheat sheet or guide
- [27:13] The examples of how to adjust free downloads to each audience
- [29:31] If you want to deliver a great speech you need to deliver it over and over again
- [30:14] How to plan the powerful speech that will be easier to remember and change by the time from the short one to 60 minutes
- [32:22] Be really good at your first 5 minutes of opening the speech
- [34:45] What if people already listened to your speech before and you will talk about the same things next time
- [35:17] Give the next level of information to people when you are sure that they already know what you have taught before
- [38:20] Offer to do the workshop on the topic you speak about
- [43:49] Where to find Mike online
- [44:44] For the show notes go to marinabarayeva.com and subscribe to the Marketing for Creatives show
What to Do Before, During and After You Gave a Speech
- Before the event look for people who are going to the event and get in touch with them.
- During the event network and meet as many people as possible. When you will deliver your speech include case studies about your clients and your work. If you do workshops on the topic, mention the stories from the workshop.
- After the event, follow up with people from the event.
Pin the quotes on your Pinterest:
Resources from this interview:
- Learn more about Mike Ganino on mikeganino.com
- Read Mike’s book Company Culture for Dummies
- Follow Mike on Twitter, Instagram
Connect with Marina Barayeva:
Marina Barayeva is an international speaker and coach who helps women entrepreneurs become recognized experts and confidently sell their services. She is also a TEDx speaker, has presented to audiences in Asia and North America, and has been featured in such media as ArtPeople, CCTV, China Radio International, and others.