When it comes to hiring someone there are a lot of things to think about: what candidate do you need? Where to find him or her? How to test the candidates and pick the right one? How to manage the workflow when people start working?
Usually, entrepreneurs think about all of that on a go when they already need to hire someone and it takes a long time.
In this episode, Scott Wintrip shares how to hire talented people and make the hiring process fast and effective.
Scott has changed how thousands of companies across the globe find and select employees, helping to design and implement a process to hire top talent in less than an hour. He is the author of the bestselling new book High Velocity Hiring: How to Hire Top Talent in an Instant.
For five consecutive years, Staffing Industry Analysts, a Crain Communications company, awarded Scott a place on the “Staffing 100,” a list of the world’s 100 most influential leaders.
In this episode, we will cover:
- [00:22] About the episode and Scott Wintrip
- [02:03] Scott was in the theatre and music, then turned to the hiring profession, and in 1999 he opened a consultancy group
- [06:03] When you plan to hire people, start with the blueprint of what people you look for
- [07:45] Cultivate a relationship with people before job position is opened
- [11:07] Give people some work before you hire them to test them and understand their skills
- [12:37] The resume isn’t an accurate reflection of people experience
- [13:23] An example of the test for the salesperson
- [14:13] How to test if people are good in following the directions during the working process
- [15:02] Two important questions to ask during face to face interview: Why us? and Why now?
- [16:27] Pay attention to how people communicate if you need this skill for the job position
- [17:11] Eight streams of finding the talented people
- [19:34] The process of hiring people
- [22:20] The big mistake that people make when they hire people
- [25:25] Bad hires often happened because in the beginning, an entrepreneur wasn’t clear about criteria from the hiring profile
- [27:34] How to set up the workflow with the person that you just hired
- [29:44] Demonstrate people their work so they can perform better
- [33:41] How Scott showed the workflow to an overseas person
- [35:35] Who entrepreneurs should hire first
- [37:19] What was Scott’s first hire
- [38:53] Where to find Scott online
- [40:09] For the show notes go to marinabarayeva.com and subscribe to the Marketing for Creatives show
Where to Find People to Hire
- Advertise in print
- Use job boards
- Post on your website
- Share on social media
- Ask people around you
- Use talent scouts and agencies
Pin the quotes on your Pinterest:
Resources from this interview:
- Learn more about Scott Wintrip on scottwintrip.com
- Get Scott’s free Talent Wealth Report
- Read Scott’s book High Velocity Hiring: How to Hire Top Talent in an Instant
- Follow Scott on Twitter, Facebook